Emeritus Alumni Board
Alumni Ambassador Program
Help us welcome football fans at Rice-Eccles Stadium for the 2017 season! If you're interested in becoming an ambassador and would like more information or would like to volunteer, click on the link below.
Board History and Service
The Emeritus Alumni Board (originally called “The Half Century Club”) was founded in 1937 at a 50-year reunion of 16 members of the Class of 1887. "Emeritus" alumni are those who attended 40 or more years ago or who are age 60 or better.
Emeritus Alumni Board members provide service to the university, alumni, and the community. Current activities include:
- The Emeritus Healthcare Lecture Series—coordinating talks by prominent physicians from throughout the Salt Lake Valley on timely medical topics. The Oct. 13 talk is on melanoma. Others have covered topics such as macular degeneration (Dr. Randall Olson from the Moran Eye Center) and why elephants don’t get cancer (Dr. Joshua Schiffman, Primary Children’s and Huntsman Cancer Institute).
- The Annual Emeritus Reunion—the 2017 event will be held Oct. 2 at the S.J. Quinney Law School, with dinner, speakers, and a tour of the building.
- Selecting a Distinguished alumnus/a award recipient—as part of the university's Founders Day
- Leading the Alumni Ambassador Program—promoting good will by welcoming home and visiting team fans at football games, basketball games, and gymnastics meets
- Serving as advocates to the Utah Legislature on behalf of the university and higher education in general
- Raising funds and/or administering the annual Emeritus Scholarship, Dr. Reginald P. Farley Medical School Scholarship, Emeritus Board First-Generation Achievement Scholarship, and Emeritus Bryant Scholarship (among the association's scholarships for deserving students)
- Leading in mentoring our Bryant Scholars through high school
- Providing "Chemo Hats" and puzzles to cancer patients at Huntsman Cancer Institute
- Giving new books to underprivileged children through partnership with the Book Wagon Lady
Learn more about some of these projects at the Emeritus community page here.
Emeritus Alumni Board
The Emeritus Alumni Board (EAB) is composed of alumni who first attended the University of Utah 40 or more years ago (or who are age 65 or older) and currently includes:
President: Cheré Romney
President-elect: Cheri Reynolds
Mary C. Thornton
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Emeritus Board, please fill out an application form (click here).
Emeritus Board of Directors Mission Statement
- Sponsor and participate in events that benefit the community, the university, and university students
- Establish meaningful relationships between emeritus alumni and the community.