Salaries, Interview Questions, and More!
Resources and Tools within UCareerPath
Alumni Career Services is committed to offering you the best resources available to help you in your job search. Inside of UCareerPath we house a robust jobs database as well as various tools to enhance your job search. We have several career and assessment tools including Going Global, CareerShift™, JibberJobber and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. UCareerPath is available to Alumni Association members as an additional service, at $35 for six months of access.
To access UCareerPath:
Going Global is one of the best online resources available for learning about transnational opportunities, foreign hiring practices, and domestic, city-specific employment information. This database addresses topics for alumni and provides a variety of tools to explore their careers, including:
- Country Career Guides: Packed with country-specific career information, this research tool provides expert advice and insider tips for finding employment opportunities at home and abroad, including industry and employment trends, work permit and visa information, résumé and interview guidelines and cultural advice.
- USA City Career Guides: Explore career and employment opportunities in the largest cities with resources that include business and networking groups, job search resources, cost of living data and more.
- H-1B Visa Employers: The H-1B visa is the most common nonimmigrant category for university graduates who wish to work in the U.S. in their field. The H-1B visa permits U.S. employers to hire foreign employees who have at least a four-year university degree (or equivalent work experience) and will work in their field of study or a closely related field in a "specialty occupation."
- Key Employer Directory: Access more than 100,000+ country-specific company profiles in industries such as consulting services, finance and technology, manufacturing, transportation, consumer goods and more!
You will be able to download all of the career guides plus find more essential information regarding networking, jobs and internships, as well as updated articles, newsletters and podcasts about your global career search!
CareerShift™ offers the most comprehensive online resource, designed to support the # 1 request of job seekers: an easy-to-use website to conduct and organize their job search. CareerShift puts you in complete control of your career and job search. Move into the fast lane by finding the companies, jobs and contacts with which you can pursue career opportunities that best fit your personal goals and aspirations. CareerShift provides all the online tools and links to keep you organized for success. With CareerShift, you can:
- Search and store jobs from all the major job boards, company websites, newspapers and anywhere else a job is posted on the Internet.
- Get inside contact information immediately, including email addresses, for millions of companies, even alumni, then save and manage your lists.
- Create as many targeted résumés and cover letters as needed, or upload your current documents.
- Automatically create unlimited email campaigns with your saved contacts, résumés and cover letters. You can choose to send your lists to yourself for a postal campaign. Since you choose your résumés’ destination, it’s a confidential marketing campaign.
- Campaigns are automatically saved and recorded to the resource’s calendar, where you can keep notes and set reminders for follow-ups.
- Access your confidential CareerShift account from anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
JibberJobber is a Personal Relationship Manager for your career. Just as a salesperson would use a Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) system, like Salesforce.com or Goldmine or ACT!, to keep track of their sales leads, JibberJobber helps you keep track of your job search, networking contacts and other career management information. JibberJobber also has 22 videos on creating and managing your profile on LinkedIn.
We also offer the additional tools below that are not included in your membership price and may be purchased separately. These require payment for the test and for interpretation time. To take these tests, contact Amy Gleason, director of Alumni Career Services, at 801-585-5036. There is a fee for each test and a fee for one hour of consultation.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator®
This tool is a self-report questionnaire designed to make Jung’s theory of psychological types understandable. The test focuses on how a person prefers to behave—not how he or she actually behaves. Understanding preferences and the “stretch” between preference and actual behavior can be useful in many ways, from choosing the optimal job or career work environment to managing stress.
Strong Interest Inventory®
This test is useful in conjunction with Myers-Briggs and is a powerful tool that can help you make satisfying decisions about your career and education. It is the most respected and widely used career-planning tool available. Understanding your Strong profile can help you identify a career focus and assist in the career exploration and planning process. The results allow you to compare interests and skills while generating a list of career fields for consideration.